Friday 23 February 2007

"If you can't finish the project in 4h, you should spend the first hour planning on how to make full use of the next 3h" ~some professor in IR/PS

I agree, fluorescent proteins are so pretty. Went to this seminar on development of sea urchin embryo, wow, the pictures are so fantastic, no wonder their pictures are on covers of magazines so often.

My mol bio professor was pregnant, disappeared 1/4 through the quarter and probably won't come back this quarter. My mentor is pregnant and she has disappeared.. wonder how long it'll take before she comes back. Maybe it'll be better to work with Darren instead..

Shopping for labs. Got a rather good offer I think, but I'm pretty lousy at judging, seeing how I passed up a HHMI guy last time to be the solutions/ autoclave girl. Should I keep shopping? Talking about labs, I realise how little PIs have to judge someone.. What do they know about me? Nothing. Grades are rather irrelevant, past lab experience, I don't have much. All that he is attracted to is my plan to grad in 3 yrs. That shows I have a drive? whatever, I'm not complaining, as long as they take me. Even though this is not exactly moral acc to Kant.

Talking about Kant. He says that human beings can only be treated as ends and not means. If I follow that and do my duty to fellow rational beings, I ought to reject Minh. Wait, duties are categorical imperatives, which means the if shouldn't be in my sentence at all. So, if I buy Kant's theory at all, I should just say No. Especially since from sy's analysis, he doesn't fit any of the criteria and there's no way I'm doing this for anything else but fun, I should stop hanging people in midair and say no.

Was at I-cafe today. This Dutch girl sat down at my table and said to this NZ girl, I'm going to get married. She visited her Indian boyfriend some time back and he proposed unofficially. So now they have to go through some official proposal ceremony thing and she's all scared. Then some other Dutch girl sat down and started talking about this African guy she's seeing. Apparently that's the 2nd African guy that she has dated. Wow this is really I-cafe.

No comments: