Friday 8 June 2007

I don't know how people can concentrate with computers in front of them in class. Apparently they can stay quite focused and look at the ppt and take notes only. Anyway, today's class was on ethics and no one really care about ethics so people were surfing the net. I was happily distracted by this article on someone's screen.
OMG my mom joined facebook
Read it, you facebook users, esp you college-online-devices-savvy-um..non-college-age-users. Now that's a long word.

I've noticed that people don't tend to call their dorms or apartments 'home'. Why not? When people ask me where I'm going at the end of a day, I say 'home', and they go, what? you're going home, like home home? No I'm going back to my apartment. What's wrong with calling my apartment home? It's where I live. When my parents call, they never refer to my apartment as my home, they always say dorm or something of that sort, but they call my aunt's place her home. When friends (from sd) call and ask where I am, and I say home, they will repeat "in your 'apartment'"? Come on, this is my home. I live here for the large majority of the year. Yeah, in my life-wise, it is temporary, but so is everywhere else isn't it? A large proportion of the university staff and faculty are not SD locals, are they staying in dorms too? Settle in, settle down, live instead of stay.

2 comments:

sangyu said...

yeah!!!
i don't understand why my mom keeps calling my apartment "dorm"!! what's wrong with her...plus.. apt is like 3 syllables long!

Anonymous said...

Yah..it's funny but somehow i dont call my hall home too..But i feel that what u say is right. mayb because our apartment/dorm/hall is not "ideal" enough to be called home?