Friday 11 March 2005

Let me make a promise that I will break. I will learn some music theory this sunday. Can't stand myself wasting my life away.. no progress, just drifting..

The other day, I had lunch with Stephen and the rest of the group, he was talking about Rwanda and I told him I've never heard of Rwanda before. He started talking about Rwanda genocide and how half a million people were killed and I was wondering how can I not know such a major event? Then I went back to the office and checked out globalissues.org. And the Tutsies and Hutus popped into my face. Yes someone did a presentation on Rwanda in GP and there was probably quite a bit of discussion over it, but I guess I wasn't paying attention then..

Interest and employability. Dave's point is that interest is more important. Looking at all the chem engineers who claim that they don't like chem engine, I don't know if interest takes that big a percentage, cos the engineers seem happy with their jobs, but well, I didn't really ask them if they are happy.

Zhiyong wants to set up a service advising people on uni course choices, telling people about NS, and why to take chem eng and why not, but he is not setting one up because he doesn't know how and no one will pay him for his advice. He thinks that the education system is such that at O levels, students must already decide what careers they want in the future and take the right subjects in A levels or just go poly, so that they can enter the right course in university. I don't disagree. But I also think that people can still switch tracks from JC to uni. Double maths people don't have to do engine, they can do law, business, arts, science, even bio, cos apparently you only need chem.. Maybe just harder to get into med and dentistry. Besides, how many 16 year olds know what they want to do? I'm 18 and I'm still unsure. But then some people change careers at 40, shows that maybe you won't know what is the best career for u after all.

Saw Cassandra at driving centre. She wants to study therapy. Suits her. But still think that she'll be a fantastic kindergarten/ pri sch teacher. She's so sweet. Anyway if she wants to study in Singapore, she has to go to poly. Should she have started with poly in the first place? Or the therapy courses require A levels?

Anyway my point is, actually i've lost my point already, going JC buys you a couple of years to think about what you want to do in the future, but with the limited scope/ types of careers we/I'm in contact with in JC, I don't think I've learnt much about career shopping. Our hopes are that in uni, we'll probably know more and make a more informed choice, but will we and can we still change our field, like fr med to law? I think we should all have an official gap year, go job hopping, with help from the sch, maybe can get some great jobs like shadowing professionals, or gain experience from admin/ waitressing/ customer service/ sales/ cleaning, whatever. Or actually schools can just extend job shadowing programme to everyone, not only the few lucky ones who managed to reg early.

No comments: