Thursday 14 September 2006

This is the end of holidays. End of year 1, start of year 2.

Holidays have been fantastic. Spent 2 wonderful weeks FF-ing with Assers in London and Spain. That was the freako-est bunch of people that I've gone on holiday with. Totally crazy but very fun. =) Thanks assers!

Then spent 2 months on attachment. The best part of this attachment is that I got to meet all these people, people in my group, people in the office. They are an amazingly varied group of people. If I were to quote everything I think that's worth quoting from these people, I could last a whole conversation. Got many opinions on whether to do science or not, quite amusing responses, probably wouldn't be that amusing when it's my turn. Watching the pros work shows how fresh and inexperience I am. As someone from my lab said, I have to "waste a few more years of taxpayers' money before (I) can contribute". Was preparing for my final presentation and felt that if this was a class that I'm taking, and the final presentation is my final exam, I'm totally unprepared for it. There's no way I can smoke an A for this class. Not surprisingly, Dr wang talked more than I did during the presentation, glad he was there. Quote from Dave: you can say "I don't know" when you're an RA but you have to know everything when you're a postdoc. I was reading through my notes for my last attachment and realised that Dave was teaching me with much more guidance, he tells me every step, how he gets every figure, why we're doing what.. This time round, much less details, well I really need to learn to not assume so much, and push for what I want, and ask ask ask. Definitely has to do that with my next mentor. I can't be the kid any more. Still it has been a good 2 months, learnt quite a bit (although can definitely be more)..

Went Cambodia with my parents. Cambodia is different from anywhere else I've been to. Siem Reap and Angkor is not like Bangkok or any parts of China that I've been to. The town lives on tourism. Quite an amazing place, how often would you find majestic ruins in the jungle and attract the whole world to come and see them?

In this last week, played a whole lot. As if trying to play enough for the whole year. The class is good. xm has improved so much, she's the one now and she's still so young. Go xm, you'll make it big one day. Played all that I wanted, recorded some potential tunes for my phone, but found that my midi editing softwares are all not working, shall resort to some primitive software when I get back to SD. I've decided to buy a keyboard, no matter what happens to my electone. i figure I can spare that thousand bucks or two for my emotional well-being. =) Sponsors for my keyboard are highly welcome.

I don't want to go back to SD. But I don't have a choice, do I? And I guess I'll enjoy SD once again when I'm there. I figured the most impt thing nowadays is to enjoy and treasure what I have right now, since the clock will keep ticking, this moment will pass, the next moment will come. I will miss this holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great school year at UCSD!