Sunday 8 January 2006

Day 6 cont'd
Chinatown. Looks very Hong Kong to me.

A bakery in Chinatown. Sells yummy stuff like 菠萝包 and 鸡尾包 and 蛋挞
Old people hanging out. Feels so HK. This trip's a good chance for me to practise my rusty Cantonese too. I can live using Cantonese, buy stuff and eat and so on, but don't ask me to give a speech in Cantonese or ask my opinion.

Checked into our hostel. Columbus Studios Hostel. Quite a walk from the bus in Chinatown to the subway and through the interchange stop and from the subway to the hostel. Walked through this side street which I would classify as shady but xuxu and grace were like it's not so bad it's not so bad lah. So ok. If they're ok with it, I'm ok with it too. Hostel is bad. The room's fine, with an extremely primitive light, yes it's electric, but we took 2 minutes to find the light switch. The switch is the line hanging from the light. 3 people sharing 2 double decker beds. That's not bad at all and there's a sink in the room. But the corridors are tiny and the toilet on our floor wasn't working. Well, it's livable i guess, and I did stay there for 2 nights. Hostelling International is so much better.

No comments: