Thursday 26 January 2006

Seminars

I really wonder how my seniors manage to take so many classes and be in labs at the same time. I feel that I don't have enough time to get everything done. Finally finished studying for metabolic biochem midterm tomorrow. Hope I do fine. Hope I do very well actually. I have an essay to write by next fri, a grammar test tmr, a evolution quiz which i can't screw up on mon and a chem midterm on tue + interviews.. hmm, I feel that I need more time..

Let's talk about my very very fun freshman seminars. Stargazing. Went to the cliffs last night to watch the stars, wow, the light pollution is so obvious from there, can see 1 BIG light shining from the RIMAC field. So hiked in the cold night all the way there, was very fun last night, cos only 7 people turned up for class, even though the class was so popular that it's way overbooked. Guess everybody decided to stay in their warm homes. Saw many many stars, I actually can picture why the constellations are named the way they are. Amazed at myself. Found out why the horizon is always always hazy/ cloudy, why it's so hard to see a good sunrise or sunset, actually good sunsets here are numerous, practically every day. Looked through binoculars and wow, there's really a sky of stars up there. Hope I still remember which is which next week. And I can't wait for us to go up to the mountains one day to freeze ourselves. I just can't wait. But now I can just wish that next wednesday will be a clear night.

My other seminar. A very uninteresting name of Revelle Honors Seminar. Quite fun actually. A totally stress free class, occasionally there's food in class. 1 great part about it is that there's actually complimentary tickets to professional performances on campus. Woohoo! So I think I'll go watch the Artemis string quartet next week. Another great thing, the main thing actually, is that people are invited to come to talk to us about their work. And today, this sociology professor who was part of the team that started Preuss School came. Can see he's really really passionate about his school, the crystal his hard work.. Makes me want to do something with the community too. A 3rd great part abt this is that I get to talk to the provost, though I haven't actually. and a 4th great part is can know more people cos people actually interact in the class, not like my Hum discussion where the 20 people just sit and wait for the prof to give a topic and then argue and siam immediately after class. (that's what I do actually.. haha)

"Scientists have to constantly think of new fancy names for things, like metabolome, so that they can get funding." ~ metabolic biochem prof

No comments: