Saturday 24 September 2005

I will sleep early tonight, even though it's a Sat night. I'm tired.

Lessons started on Thursday. Linguistics, very interesting questions raised by the prof. Potentially a very interesting course. Psychology, not really sure if I'll like what I will take. Then discovered the traumatic fact that I have to take this evolution and ecology course that uses Campbell as textbook. Traumatic cos I never liked evolution and ecology in JC, I never liked the Campbell chapters on evolution and ecology, I never thought I would need to take this course here, I didn't bring Campbell. So I went for the first evo and eco lect. Didn't think the course will be difficult, in fact, think I'll be totally bored and plan to do my readings during the lect. First lect talked about the big bang and how the first amino acid came about. Did Campbell talk about that? I was pretty bored. Anyway, I've decided that if there's no way to escape this course at all, I'll take it next quarter, when my mom brings me my book, or next year.

Organic Chem. Teacher's good, I can tell. Met Weihao there, so sat with him in the 1st row. Gosh, don't understand why he likes the first row. Then it was Maths. Calculus. Teacher has a heavy European accent, good thing he writes down all the important things he's saying. I had to pay a lot of attention. Got me quite tired by the end of the lect. I don't think Calc is easy, even though everyone aced it. I sat next to this Singaporean guy fr VS who came US during high school during Math. He didn't seem to take any notes at all. Must be a smart guy. Weihao was in that class too, and guess what, he was in the first row.

First official Singapore Malaysia Student association meeting, at Desmond's place. Food was good. Finger food, but I got quite full, maybe cos I ate lunch at 2+. Master chef and host both made great food, and there were mangoes. =) Met people, did I? Didn't really talk to anyone I didn't know already. Talked a lot more to the graduating undergrads, wish they were staying longer, they know so much. Found out how exciting some people are, great ballroom dancers, great surfers, campers, travelers, oh yeah, best humanities student, haha.. I want to do exciting stuff too. Will go find people to FINALLY learn dance with me.
Seniors were talking to the grads, new pple talk among themselves. The most outrageous thing was that one of the grads gave a probability question and everybody, that is seriously everybody there except the freshies, an engine grad, a climatology grad and a international relations grad. oh and the host too. Here's the question:
In a game show, there are 3 boxes. One of the boxes contains the Grand Prize. The other 2 are empty. You get to choose once which is the box with the prize. After you've picked your box, the host opens an empty box from the 2 remaining boxes. Should you change your mind after the host opens a box? Assume that there are no other factors influencing your decision like the audience or the host's face.

What do you think? It kept people debating for the entire night.

Then the discussion went on to Biology. A group of them was talking about cyclins and cdks and cmk and so on and whatever other abc, defs. They call it occupational hazard. But I guess I will discuss about my work too with people more experienced than I am when I have the chance, when I have work. Kok Lim was telling me that next time I go for a gathering, I need to do my homework and readings first, so that I can understand what they're talking about. These people are seriously intellectual. My roommate thinks they're dorks.

Wanted to leave at 11.50pm, but was waiting for one of them, who's in the maths discussion (note the time), to pass me his textbook, so ended up waiting, waiting, waiting. Reached dorm at 1+am. My roommate is starting to call me a party animal. By the time I finish showering and so on, it was 2am. Then 1 of our suitemates came over cos her roommate was sleeping with her boyfriend in the room, and somehow, all the suitemates who are not asleep already came over to our room. They started talking and talking and talking, I was secretly wishing that they'll take the talk somewhere else, I don't know when they finished talking, cos I impolitely went to sleep while they're talking.

Today. Went to the beach. Mission Bay. School organised event, as usual only freshmen went, really good. We didn't want to wait in line (learn this phrase, queue is not a popular word here), so we stood at the area where the front of the line will be before the line even started. So we got onto the first bus and were the first pple at the bbq. Good burgers. Oh yeah, bbqs here mean cheese burgers with bbq-ed meat. Not bbq chicken wings or satays or sting rays or anything like that. So since we didn't want to wait in line, we gobbled down our burgers and went to kayak. That's when I feel sad for my friends again. They have never kayaked before. And they're Californians. Anyway, to make a kayak move is not difficult, so we were out in the sea/ ocean/ lagoon before anyone else was. Had a long enough time at sea before we were asked to go back. Then we went sailing. Bob cat sailing? is that what it's called? 2 parallel boats tied together using 1 set of sails. Basically we just sit and enjoy the ride while this sailor adjust everything. Real cool. Loved it. Then we lazed around in the sun before hopping onto the 2nd bus back to school. Got tanned, but not burned. Good.

I'm not done yet. Tonight. Went for Diavolo performance. It's a Cirque de Soleis thing, acrobatic dance. Best thing is that it's only $5. US dollars of course. It was really good, very pretty. The dancers are so tired, they were dripping in sweat when they've finished. They even coordinated their breathing. There were moments when I thought one of the girls would fly out and the guys can't catch her but they were all caught safely. It was fantastic. My seat was great too. Really in front. Courtesy of Revelle's good tickets and my trusty info source. Everyone around me was from Revelle. I even saw Renee there. After the performance was a party, Indian music + trance. I thought the music was better than the music at the all campus dance. But I'm tired and I can't dance, so i'm here, preparing to go to sleep. Nite.

No comments: