Tuesday 20 September 2005

It rained last night. Thunderstorm. It's not supposed to rain in San Diego! The school is not designed for thunderstorm weather, not like NUS, or any Singapore schools where every building is connected by covered walkways. Nothing here is covered and nobody carries umbrellas. So if it rains, get yourself wet. Oh yeah, during orientation, we made artificial rain. Haha, just the sound of it actually.

Just ponned square dance and took a bus ride around school. Actually I feel quite sorry for the local students, ie my suitemates. I took a school tour in a car before orientation started, walked around school numerous rounds to get admin stuff done, had a good personal tour guide, not to mention so many people whom I can ask where's everything, so I knew pretty much where everything is. They were seeing ERC for the first time and wowing at their new-ness, while I've been to I-house so many times, even went into I-house rooms before. It's quite sad that they don't have anyone to drive them around and my roommates don't really seem to have seniors to help them along. People are amazed that I'm here alone, think I must be real independent and so on, I think they are amazing, they don't have the readily available help that I have and survive really well. We went out the other night to celebrate Kok Lim's end of rushing-for-deadlines. My roommate made me takeaway food for her and she's saving the food now in my fridge, rationing a bit for every day. They don't have the priviledge of going out to eat often. They don't have the chance to go to Convoy and Ranch to get nice Asian food.

Went ice skating just now. All the Astar pple are going to haha at me here, cos i never went ice skating with them in Singapore under the reason that there's no ice in San Diego. Well there's an ice skating rink very near school. Special offer today at $3, went, didn't fall, but only went 2 rounds, cos not much time, a lot of people and I'm really lousy.

My suitemates are really nice. Update on angmoh/non-angmoh ratio: 2:8 currently. The 8 of us hang out together. actually already sort of splitted into 4, 4, but still, the caucasians don't hang out with us. One of them sticks to the boyfriend, the other one plays elec. bass and hangs out with guys.

No comments: