Monday 17 January 2005

Attachment: I'm not attached to... not ...'s student I'm just under ... right?

Although I'm not doing anything, it's not very nice to sleep or blog cos my seat is super exposed and everybody can see what I'm doing..

Haha, I was the first one here today, as in the first one in the whole office. Will come later tomorrow. Anyway the layout of the building is quite cool, cos the office goes one round around the building and the labs and whatever other store rooms in the middle. Well, I think I'm the only JC student in the whole building, and what I do here will definitely not be A level Bio. There's no more things like 'this is not impt cos u won't need it for A levels'. Everything is relevant. And lab work is so independent. Quite scary, if I screw up some expt then a lot of money will be wasted.. stressed. Talking about stressed, I think the guy in charge of me is even more stressed, his friends were telling him whether Singapore has 1 more or 1 less scientist depends on him. haha. The person 1 step higher up the food chain is, well actually I don't know how nice is he.. Dave says he's nice, but he said it with a lot of reservation, so I'm very careful when I'm around Dr oh. About the food chain, it goes something like this, me --> Dave and Cai Lian (who's currently enjoying a holiday in Australia) and their poor fish --> Dr Steve whose English is so good, actually he sounds rather like Paul Khoo, haha... And that's about all the people there are in the fermentation group.

This Korean prof came today and the group had a discussion with him and i sat in. Didn't understand half the things they said inside and fell asleep many times. I sure hope he didn't notice.. He's such a heavy smoker, 2 cigs in 15min. Wow, hard to find such smokers in Singapore.

So far, the toughest job I have is trying to stay awake while reading notes and during discussions. A lot of experiment details and names of genes and restriction endonuclease that are just so foreign, think i have to go back to reading.

Biopolis is not so nice from the inside of buildings, there's no view at all. Met Christelle today, she was learning to be a Biopolis tour guide =) and she told me about the sky spider and the cool toilet thing.. basically there's this plastic cover on the toilet seat and when you wave you hand in front of a sensor, the exposed plastic cover will be sucked back into the toilet and another cover will come out.. Ok, actually it doesn't work how I made it sound like it works, nvm, you'll hve to see it to understand, or maybe can ask the trained guide to tell you more about it..

Went Holland V for dinner. So convenient because of the shuttle, hey sounds like space shuttle. I decided that I can never be a doctor. I won't be able to stand all the hospital attachments, internships..

It's 18th Jan. No news from UCAS, or WUSL.. Hope it's only because they're busy processing my applications..

No comments: